On Sunday night the 13th, I took Chelsea to the pediatric urgent care center because I was worried she wasn’t eating enough and was getting dehydrated. She was really congested and even with us suctioning out her nose with saline every 1 – 2 hours, she had very little appetite. Her last good feed was at 7 AM and she only had 3 wet diapers all day (ideal to have ~6 wet diapers/day at her age). They took a urine specimen (via catheter, poor girl), did a blood draw and took a large sample of mucus out of her nose (which cleaned out her nasal passageways so she could breathe better, for awhile at least). The urine and blood tests came back fine, but the mucus sample showed that she has RSV. 😦 So, the doctor sent us home and gave us a list of things to look out for, one of which a fever of 100.4 or more. We got home around 10:30.
I had been sleeping upright in a recliner with Chelsea on my chest so that she could breathe easier and so I could monitor her breathing. Around 2AM Monday morning, Chelsea felt really warm, so I took her temperature and it was 100.8. I checked it two more times and it was still high (100.4 and 100.6). The urgent care center was closed now, so I had to take her to the children’s hospital ER in Ft. Worth. They had to redo the urine, blood and mucus tests 😦 in addition to a spinal tap to rule out meningitis and a chest X ray to check her lungs. Since RSV is a virus, they can’t treat it with medicine, but because of the fever, congestion, and a bit of junk in her right lung, the ER doctor decided to admit her to the hospital.
Around 4:30 AM we were situated in our room which is a contact and respitory isolation unit (meaning whenever a doctor or nurse comes into the room, they have to wear a mask, gown and gloves). They’ve now put Chelsea on oxygen because her blood oxyen levels weren’t high enoughand put her on IV fluids because she’s still not eating great. Her soft spot is really sunken in now; it looks like she has a dent in her head. The junk that they saw in her lungs on the X rays could mean she has pnemonia, but they aren’t sure. Her doctor her says that she’ll be here at least another 2 days, (until Thursday, January 17 at least) or up to 2 weeks. Once she can maintain her oxygen levels on her own and doesn’t need the IV fluids, she’ll get to come home.
The hospital and staff have been really nice and are taking great care of Chelsea. Jonathan’s been staying home with Mallory to take care of her since I have to be at the hospital to feed Chelsea every few hours and watch over her. Jonathan’s mom is flying in tomorrow to help Jonathan with Mallory so he can go back to work. Hopefully Chelsea will get better soon and we’ll all be home. Keep this baby girl in your prayers.